Advancing philanthropic interests is a part of Theta Phi Alpha’s mission and the Traditions of Theta Phi Alpha which state, “A Theta Phi Alpha engages in philanthropic efforts to help those less fortunate than herself.” We promote our philanthropic efforts starting with recruitment and throughout all phases of membership.
Philanthropy and community service can take many forms. Volunteering, participation in service projects, and collection of donations, whether monetary or of goods, are some of the ways to participate. Theta Phi Alpha focuses its philanthropic efforts on:
- Camp Friendship is a two-week summer camp hosted in northeast Mississippi for children from disadvantaged and low-income homes. Children develop teamwork skills, foster new relationships, and promote a sense of self-worth that grows from their personal accomplishments. Sisters of Theta Phi Alpha assist Camp Friendship with financial donations, supplies and as volunteers at the camp.
- The House That Theta Phi Alpha Built, established in 1993, has the goal of improving the plight of the homeless and allows the flexibility of selection suitable organizations to support, such as those providing aid to the homeless through shelters, home building, or neighborhood revitalization projects. This permits Theta Phi Alphas to help those in need in their own community, while remaining united in our aim and purpose.
- Glenmary Home Missioners serves the spiritual and material needs of those living in rural Appalachia, where they distribute food, clothing, and books to needy persons, and assist in providing medical care, job training and tutoring.
Send cash contributions for Camp Friendship and Glenmary to Theta Phi Alpha Foundation, where the gifts are aggregated into a larger donation.
Donations of swimsuits or sneakers for children 8–12, Nerf water toys, or four square balls can be sent to:
Father Tim Murphy
St. James Catholic Church
1911 N. Gloster St.
Tupelo, MS 38804
Phone: (662) 844-0327
The House That Theta Phi Alpha Built
Flexible to allow support in your local community supporting the cause of homelessness and providing shelter. Some options are:
- Enchanted Makeovers
- Coalition for the Homeless
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Homes for Our Troops
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
Ideas for your local community
- Clothing drives
- Food drives
- Soup Kitchens
We encourage any support that helps those who are in need of shelter or prevents homelessness.
Glenmary Home Missioners
Donations of clothes and shoes for women and children can be sent to:
Glenmary Home Missioners
Attn: Father Don Tranel
4119 Glenmary Trace
Fairfield, OH 45014